Welcome to Reel Action!
DIVA's Youth Visions Project is an educational program that aims to bring the insights of youth to the public through the media arts of video, film, photography, and digital technologies. Our goal is to help transform kids from consumers of media images to producers, makers, and shapers.
The Youth Visions Project was initiated in the spring of 2002. Each year a panel of film professionals and educators reviews videos submitted to the Teen Video Competition. Winning entries are then presented in a special screening and awards ceremony. In 2008, Youth Visions merged with DIVA's OpenLens Festival.
DIVA and the Youth Vision Project now offer year-round video and media arts-related workshops as well as the annual video competition.
The Youth Visions Project seeks to:
- Encourage students to use and understand video and digital technologies as vehicles for communication
- Create a forum for youth to offer their perspectives
- Facilitate the development of visual and media literacy skills
- Strengthen arts education and promote its potential as a constructive vehicle for addressing social issues
- Display student videos to the public on community television, in festivals and in other venues around the state
- Broaden the public discussion and understanding of critical issues in Oregon by offering a fresh perspective from the state's youth
Use the menu, at left, to discover topics of interest to all young filmmakers including a showcase presenting teen videos from around the world, local media centers where youth can learn about video production, resources including books, tutorials, and online instruction, and discover international opportunities including competitions and events for youth.
Stop aspiring, start doing. "Make yourself a business card that says you're a film-maker, pass them out to your friends, soon as you get that over with and you've got it in your mind that you're one you'll be one, you'll start thinking like one. Don't dream about being a film-maker, you are a film-maker." Robert Rodriguez
DIVA Center 280 W. Broadway - Eugene, Oregon - 97401